FleischmanGarcia was retained by the Jewish Community Center to design the adaptive re-use of the existing Fort Homer Hesterly Armory, a 1930s vintage Art Deco style armory that was constructed under FDR's New Deal, and opened in 1941.
This facility was home to many concerts and championship wrestling matches, and more recently the home to the Florida National Guard. The existing building was approximately 75,000 sq. ft. and was adapted to house the new South Tampa campus of the Jewish Community Center.
A new, modern grand entry was designed for the facility, which included an events center, fitness center, gymnasium, aquatics center, theater, locker rooms, café and a new 14,000 sq. ft., 2-story preschool. Further development of the site was done for parking and outdoor events. The Building is on the U.S. National Registry of Historic Places and the new design adheres to the Secretary of Interior Standards for historic preservation.